Sydney’s Expert Possum Pest Control & Removals
Possums are common pests that have caused some immense household and health-related problems all throughout the country. They are nighttime creatures that regularly take shelter in house rooftops or ceilings and gardens and are so natural to breed and multiply. They can live and thrive in various areas and are found nesting inside house walls and closets for the most part. They also eat whatever they can get simple and easy access to. These animals are considered pests as they have a reputation in causing tremendous problems at home like biting off electrical wiring, damaging roof protection, and tainting areas with their faeces and urine.
Understanding Possum Behavior
Before we dive into possum control solutions in Sydney, it’s important to understand the behaviour of these nocturnal creatures. Possums are arboreal marsupials that are commonly found in Australia. They are agile climbers and are known for their ability to adapt to various environments, including urban areas.
Possums are primarily herbivores, feeding on a variety of plant materials, fruits, and flowers. They are also known to scavenge for food in garbage bins and compost heaps. Their preference for sheltered spaces often leads them to seek refuge in residential properties, causing damage to roofs, insulation, and gardens.
Identifying a Possum Infestation
Detecting a possum infestation early on is crucial for effective Possum control. Here are some signs that indicate the presence of possums on your property:
- Nocturnal Noises: Possums are most active during the night and can produce loud scratching, thumping, or hissing sounds in your roof or ceiling.
- Droppings and Urine: Look for possum droppings in your garden or on outdoor structures. These droppings are cylindrical and typically contain undigested plant matter.
- Garden Damage: Possums feed on plants, flowers, and fruits, leaving behind telltale signs of damage such as chewed leaves or partially eaten fruits.
- Distinct Odor: Possums have a musky odour that can become noticeable when they have taken up residence in or around your property.
Effective Possum Control Sydney Methods
When it comes to possum control in Sydney, it’s important to prioritise humane and environmentally-friendly solutions. Here are some effective methods for managing possum populations:
1. Exclusion Techniques
Exclusion techniques aim to prevent possums from accessing your property in the first place. Here are some measures you can take:
- Sealing Entry Points: Conduct a thorough inspection of your property and seal any potential entry points such as gaps in roofing, vents, or chimneys. Ensure that all openings are properly secured.
- Fencing: Install possum-proof fencing around vulnerable areas such as gardens or vegetable patches. Use wire mesh with small openings to prevent possums from squeezing through.
- Trimming Trees: Trim tree branches that provide easy access to your roof, ensuring a minimum distance of 2 meters between trees and your property.
2. Deterrents and Repellents
Deterrents and repellents can be effective in discouraging possums from staying on your property. Consider the following options:
- Motion-Activated Sprinklers: Install motion-activated sprinkler systems that release bursts of water when possums come into range. This can startle and deter them from returning.
- Ultrasonic Devices: Ultrasonic devices emit high-frequency sounds that are unpleasant to possums. Place these devices strategically around your property to discourage their presence.
- Natural Repellents: Some natural repellents, such as garlic or chilli-based sprays, can be applied to plants or specific areas to deter possums. However, be mindful of the potential impact on other wildlife.
3. Habitat Modification
Creating an inhospitable environment for possums can be an effective long-term strategy. Consider the following habitat modifications:
- Removing Food Sources: Secure garbage bins with tight-fitting lids and avoid leaving pet food or compost accessible to possums. This helps minimize their attraction to your property.
- Garden Design: Choose plants that possums are less likely to feed on and consider using protective netting around vulnerable areas. Create open spaces to make your property less appealing for shelter.
Seeking Professional Assistance for Possum Pest Control
While DIY possum control methods can be effective, persistent infestations may require professional assistance. Certified pest control experts have the knowledge and experience to handle possums safely and efficiently. They can conduct thorough assessments, implement tailored solutions, and provide ongoing monitoring to ensure long-term success.
Call Fully Licensed Sydney Possum Pest Controller
Possums make their presence known and felt once they invade your home. The noises they make are so similar to the clamours made by mice and rats that you may undoubtedly confuse them with rats and mice. Aside from keeping you awake at night, possums typically also leave droppings lying around–which represents a health issue. At the point when an entire possum family lives in your house, they can make impressively enormous damage to your property. However, possums are a protected species, which means you need to be careful about how to evacuate them. It is highly recommended that you do not attempt to remove these pests on your own as that can lead to injuries and other such problems. Therefore, the most ideal approach to manage the situation is by hiring a possum removal expert.